Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rhetorical Analysis- Source for Paper B

This week is a post for my second persuasive paper. I'll be writing to persuade people to take out their ipods (earbuds) more often as they're out in public.


~WATCO: What are the consequences of audio fixative individuals on their ignorant attitude toward society?
Enthymeme (Claim): Audio fixative individuals progress to being more ignorant to others when interacting with them.
Assumption (Reason): Because excessive use/exposure can cause hearing loss or other injuries, making them less-responsive to those around them.

~Audience: The audience is any music enthusiast who has to have a tune playing in their head.

~Goal: The goal is to show how the effects hinder one's social life (isolated music listening) and health (auditory damage).


~How & Why: This source can help show how the consumer level music players are a potential risk to hearing. It is a trustworthy source because it's preceded by the Journal of the American Audiology Society, and published by the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences at Boston University School of Medicine. The source addresses the logistics of their testing of various compact disc players and their output levels, then compare them to safe levels of decibel output. I think it's very sufficient in tests and results because a wide range of products were tested across many manufacturers and styles of headphones- insert, supra-aural, vertical, and circumaural). I think this can relate to the health of a music enthusiast.

~Effective: This is an effective source because commercially-available players were tested and the results show how potentially damaging they can be to one's hearing/health.

Credits: Fligor, B. J., and L. C. Cox. "Output Levels of Commercially Available Portable Compact Disc Players and the Potential Risk to Hearing." Ear & Hearing (01960202) 25.6 (2004): 513-27.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have graduated from BYU. I majored in Visual Arts- Graphic Design, and minored in Business Management. I am currently working for a company doing design work for them, but I am still freelance so let me know if you are in need. I love to play, bake, and spend time with my family and friends.